Sunday, January 29, 2012

Technology Autobiography ROUGH DRAFT

Technology Autobiography
            Growing up, technology has definitely had a huge impact on my childhood, and thus far through my young adult life. I feel most young adults and kids these day don’t realize how big of an impact technology has had on them but there’s been a significant change in lives that has come through these new technologies. Though some of these technologies may seem very insignificant in our lives, they were not around decades ago and have majorly shaped our modern world. Who would I be without a cell phone and the internet? We may never know. But, one thing I do know, I would not be the same person.
            In first grade I got a Nintendo 64. Man, it was the coolest game a kid could own back then. I would invite friends over to play Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong. This game gave me my first insight on the world of videogames. I vividly remember sitting down with my best friend, my sister, and her best friend. We would have two versus two battles in Mario Party, getting quite upset when we lost. The point of the game was to collect the most stars, having mini battle games along the way that could hurt or help you. The videogame world advanced very quickly. It seemed like as soon as you bought the coolest thing, a new one came out that you had to buy. I went through Nintendo, PS2, and finally the Xbox. It has shaped the world of entertainment, and now some kids prefer videogames over the outdoors.
            I remember our first internet access was dial up AOL. You used to have to sign into your account, and listen to the dial-up sounds as it connected to the internet. It would have the little AOL man running across the screen indicating how close it was to being signed in. From there you could browse the internet, check emails, and play games. Next came my first mode of communication besides our wall phone; AOL Instant Messaging. I specifically remember my IM name being “jujubeexoxo.” I would get on after school and as often as I could. I would sit online waiting for my friends to Instant Message me, and as soon as one of their usernames would pop up on my screen, I would IM them. This lasted for hours of the day. I was also very flattered when a cute boy would instant message me. Before texting, this was how I communicated with my middle school boyfriends. Of course, we were too afraid to talk in person, but instant messaging was our scapegoat.
            Later, as the internet advanced, our dialup disappeared. Internet Explorer was the new big thing, and to this day I use it. I soon learned about the world of games on the internet.


TO BE CONTINUED.................

No comments:

Post a Comment